With all of the features you’re bombarded with while in the process of purchasing a DSLR, there is one essential feature that can become very easy to overlook – the flip screen. Today we’re taking a look at the 5 best DSLR cameras with flip screens on the market.
Flip screens are an absolute must for anyone who is planning on doing some vlogging, but are also useful for any filmmakers who work alone from time-to-time. Having the ability to see your shot as you compose it will save you a lot of time and frustration. If your phone allows you to take selfies, why shouldn’t your DSLR?
- 1 Should I Buy A DSLR Camera With A Flip Screen?
- 2 Top 5 Best DSLR Cameras With Flip Screen
- 2.1 1. Our All Around Best Pick
- 2.2 2. Best Runner-up / Budget Choice
- 2.3 3. Best Nikon DSLR Camera With Flip Screen
- 2.4 4. Best Panasonic Camera With Flip Screen
- 2.5 5. Most Popular Camera With Flip Screen
- 3 Conclusion
Should I Buy A DSLR Camera With A Flip Screen?
To certain users, like photographers, the use of a flip screen might not be immediately apparent. However, if you’ve ever shot a vlog, or an informative video that involves talking to a camera, you probably understand the frustrations that accompany not being able to see your camera screen.
If you’ve already bought a camera without one, but really need to be able to see yourself, You should look into purchasing a monitor for your existing camera. This can alleviate the problem of not being able to see yourself, and some monitors are even small enough to mount on your camera, making it like you already had a flip screen to begin with.
However, we all know it’s better to fix the problem before it starts, so let’s get into the list of our favorite flip screen DSLRs!
Top 5 Best DSLR Cameras With Flip Screen
1. Our All Around Best Pick
We’ve written articles on the equipment used by dozens of top YouTubers, and it is very clear that the Canon Eos 80D is the most popular DSLR by a large margin. Quite simply, this is one of the best flip-screen DSLRs on the market.
Most famously, it is the favorite camera of everyone’s favorite vlogger, Casey Neistat. He’s used a ton of different cameras throughout his YouTube career but the 80D always has stood out as one of his favorites due to the front facing camera and excellent AF features.
Here’s the specifications.
- 24 MP CMOS Sensor
- Dual Pixel Auto Focus
- 1080p/60fps video recording
- Weather Resistant Body
- Wi-Fi & NFC Capabilities
- Continuous photo shooting up to 7 FPS with Autofocus
The sensor is a huge step up from that on the already massively popular Canon 70D, so this camera is the clear best choice for those looking for a flip screen in the Canon camera family.
Finally, if knowing that most of Casey Neistat’s videos were filmed on it isn’t enough, here’s a gorgeous camera test we found.
- Screen is excellent in terms of quality and flexibility
- Auto focus is fast and works really well.
- 24MP sensor is very high quality
- Takes time to master the auto focus
- Most expensive of the choices on this list
2. Best Runner-up / Budget Choice
If you’re a fan of Canon’s excellent color profile and video capabilities, but don’t feel like splurging on the 80D, the T6i is still an excellent choice for those in need of a camera with a flip screen.
At around $600, this is one of the most affordable devices on the list. Here’s a rundown of the specs.
- 24.2 MP CMOS Sensor
- 100-12800 ISO
- Included 18-55mm Stock Lens
- High speed photography at up to 5 frames per second
- Wi-Fi and NFC capabilities
Although it is quite cheap, and the auto-focus and image fidelity are outshined by the 80D, this camera is still used by many huge YouTubers like Conner Franta, who has managed to get to 5.5 million subscribers with just this camera. Many other content creators continue to use this today, and it’s really budget friendly!
Here’s the best footage test we could find to demonstrate the capabilities of the Canon T6i.
- A great value for the 24 MP Sensor
- Great still and video performance
- Touch-screen is great, variable angle
- Popular among many famous YouTubers
- Viewfinder is slightly cropped
- Slightly outperformed by the D5600 (See #3)
3. Best Nikon DSLR Camera With Flip Screen
If you’re more of a Nikon fan, or are just looking for a low-budget alternative, the Nikon D5600 is an excellent flip screen DSLR that suits any beginner vlogger perfectly. While we know that nowadays the Canon color profile is a bit more popular, this camera has a slightly stronger sensor than that of the T6i, and is the perfect choice if you already own some Nikon glass.
Here’s the specifications.
- 24 Megapixel Sensor.
- 1080p 60FPS video recording.
- Snapbridge BlueTooth, Wi-Fi & NFC.
- Touch screen that can not only flip forward but be angled.
- 39 Point AutoFocus
A relatively cheap purchase in a similar price range as the T6i, the D5600 delivers excellent performance and definitely has what it takes to bring professional quality to your vlogs. Just check out the following video test we found in case you’re skeptical.
- Touch Screen
- Excellent 24 Mp Sensor and Auto Focus
- Compact Size
- Additional features aren’t as strong as the camera itself.
- Auto focus while recording is below average.
4. Best Panasonic Camera With Flip Screen
Admittedly, the Lumix G7 is a mirrorless camera, but it impressed us more than any of the DSLRs from Panasonic, so we figured it’d be a great suggestion for anyone looking for a flip-screen device from Panasonic. We’re huge fans of the classical camera body, and it’s a great vlogging camera if you’re looking for something a bit lighter than the above DSLRs. Best of all, it can shoot 4k video! None of the other cameras on our list can manage that.
Here’s a full rundown of the specs.
- 16 Megapixel Sensor.
- Ultra compact body and lenses
- Excellent viewfinder touch display
- Wi-Fi sharing
Finally, check out this really impressive test footage of the Lumix G7 we found.
- 4k performance is great
- Lots of great controls
- Smaller form factor
- Smaller sensor than previous cameras
- Less dynamic range than other similarly priced options.
5. Most Popular Camera With Flip Screen
Alright, it’s technically not a DSLR, but with this excellent compact camera, there’s honestly not too much of a difference. If you’re looking for a high quality flip-screen camera with your vlogs, this is actually one of our top recommendations.
It scores major points from us because it is able to fit right in your pocket and carried with you everywhere you go. Here’s the specifications.
- 20MP BSI Cmos Sensor
- 24-100mm F1.8-F2.8 Lens
- 1080p 60fps video recording
- Touchscreen LCD
- Continuous shooting at up to 8 fps
The following footage is from a particularly cinematic YouTuber who does a great job at demonstrating just how cinematic the G7x ii can be when used properly. We were blown away!
- Proven to be the camera of choice by dozens of massive YouTubers
- The most compact camera on our list
- Raw format compatible
- Great low-light performance
- Lenses cannot be changed.
- No viewfinder
Any of the above choices are excellent picks for anyone looking for a camera with a flip screen. Many YouTubers have had great success vlogging with all of the cameras we reviewed, so we have no hesitation when it comes to recommending them.
If this article was helpful to you, please consider checking out one of our many guides to YouTuber cameras! There you can see which cameras your favorite YouTubers are using if you would like some further inspiration and recommendations.